Insurance FAQs

Do I need a high school diploma to register for this program?

Although it’s not necessary to possess a high school diploma or equivalent to register for this program, it is recommended that you complete a high school course of study prior to enrolling, as it’s likely to be required by potential employers. Click here to see how DCC can assist you with your high school equivalent.

Do I need to have prior experience to register for this program?


Are there any pre-admission or testing requirements?


How do I register for this program?

Registration can be done online or by contacting the Office of Community Services.

Is there financial aid available for this program?

No. However, funding might be available through Dutchess One-Stop or ACCES-VR.

Is there a payment plan available for this program?

Yes. If you choose not to pursue funding and instead wish to self-pay, our payment plan can break down the total cost of the tuition into smaller payments.

How much time outside of class is required for reading and homework each week?

Generally, students should allow for 4 hours each week for reading the text and related exercises. Each class session covers specific sections in the text. The students are expected to read each assignment prior to class, participate in the class discussion and test their understanding through on-line quizzes and tests. The students will have an opportunity to practice their test taking skills that are essential to their success on the state exams.

How important is attendance?

Very Important. Only one absence for the Personal Lines class (INS 003) and three for the Property & Casualty Agent/Broker class (INS 007) are allowed.


What is the certifying agency?  

NYS Department of Financial Services, Insurance Division 

What are the costs for the certification exam?

Currently it is $40. Subject to change.

Do you offer the certification exam on campus?


If not, where is the exam offered?

Poughkeepsie, Purchase and Albany in New York are the closest. There are also sites in Western Connecticut and Pennsylvania. Prometric is the testing service used by New York. For more information, visit their website at:  http://www.prometric.com/newyork/insurance

Is certification necessary to work in the industry?

No. There are jobs in the insurance business at Insurers and agencies where no license is required. A license is required for anyone who is or wants to earn commission on sales. Additionally, many agencies/brokerage prefer a candidate to be licensed because of the training and demonstrated competency required to pass the state exam.

Once I receive certification, do I need more training?

After you successfully pass your certification exam and achieve a passing grade on the state exam, you will be able to apply for an insurance license. Once the license is issued, the license holder is required to complete 15 hours of continuing education in order to renew the license every two years. 

Do you offer a clinical/externship?