Residency Requirements


To prove your residence for any county in New York State, you must:

1. Have resided in New York State for one year,


2. Resided in your home county for six months prior to the first day of classes.

Please follow the instructions below for your home county. Once we receive the appropriate document the non–resident tuition charge will be removed from your account. You MAY NOT receive another bill. Make payment by subtracting the non-resident tuition amount from your balance due.


Complete the Affirmation of Dutchess County Residence (click here).
Include this with your adjusted payment (subtract non-resident tuition amount from balance due).


A student from a New York county other than Dutchess is required to submit a Certificate of Residence from their county of legal residence covering 6 months prior to their first day of classes.  To secure the required Certificate, follow the procedures below:

Call the Treasurer’s Office or Chief Fiscal Officer of your home county to inquire about acceptable forms of proof you will need to bring to prove your residency.

Your home county will issue you a Certificate of Residence. The original Certificate (we cannot accept faxes or photo copies) must be submitted to the DCC Student Accounts Office by the tuition due date. This will entitle you to pay the resident tuition rate.

Please note per New York State Education Law, Certificates cannot be dated more than 60 days before the start of the semester and 30 days after the start of the semester. If you fail to obtain your certificate within this time frame, you will be responsible for paying the non-resident tuition.

Certificates are only good for one year from the date of issue.


Immigrant Aliens must have an Alien Identification card (“green card”) and be able to establish NYS residency to be eligible for resident tuition rates. Pursuant to the Federal Immigration and Nationality Act, students who are unable to present valid documentation of their alien status are not eligible for in-state tuition rates.

Effective July 1, 1998, aliens unlawfully present in the United States are not eligible on the basis of residence within a State for any postsecondary educational benefit unless citizens or nationals of the United States are eligible for the same benefit without regard to state residency. Certain undocumented aliens may be eligible for the resident tuition rate. The undocumented alien must have graduated from or received a HS Equivalency from a NYS high school and applied for SUNY admissions within five years of receiving the HS Equivalency or NYS diploma. The undocumented alien must also have completed a notarized affidavit stating that the student has filed or intends to file an application to legalize his or her immigration status. Please contact the office of Student Accounts for additional information.

For more information, please contact the College at the following:

Dutchess Community College
Office of Student Accounts
53 Pendell Road, Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
Phone: (845) 431-8060
Fax: (855) 204-3766



Bronx, Kings, Queens, Manhattan
& Richmond Counties
Office of the New York City Comptroller
1 Centre Street (Municipal Building)
Room 1329, Certificate of Residence Desk
New York, NY 10007
Phone: (212) 669-2784

Columbia County
560 Warren St.,
2nd Entrance on 6th St.
Hudson, N.Y. 12534
Phone: (518) 828-0513

Nassau County, 240 Old Country Road
Mineola, N.Y. 11051  
Phone: (516) 571-2090

Orange County
Commissioner of Finance
265 Main St., Goshen, N.Y. 10924
Phone: (845) 291-2485

Putnam County
County Office Bldg.
40 Gleneida Ave.
Carmel, N.Y. 10512
Phone: (845) 808-1075 x 49330

Suffolk County
H. Lee Dennison Bldg.
100 Veterans Memorial Highway
P.O. Box 6100
Hauppauge, N.Y. 11788
Phone: (631) 853-5052

Sullivan County, Government Center
100 North Street
Monticello, N.Y. 12701
Phone: (845) 794-3000 ext. 3215

Ulster County
244 Fair Street
PO Box 1800
Kingston, N.Y. 12402-1800

Westchester County
Finance Department
148 Martine Ave., Room 728/cert
College Certificates of Residence
White Plains, N.Y. 10601   
Phone: (914) 995-5006