Frequently Asked Questions

How Much Financial Aid is Awarded?

Each financial aid award is based on need, eligibility, and available funds. First consideration goes to students who apply early and show the greatest need. Need is determined by comparing the cost of attending Dutchess Community College with the expected family contribution as calculated by a federal formula. Budgets used for financial aid vary depending upon your status, residency, and program. Standard budgets used for awarding financial aid are available from the Office of Financial Aid.

My family’s financial situation has changed since last year.  What do I do?

You should complete a Change of Circumstance Form and submit it to the Office of Financial Aid. You should also provide the requested documentation to support your special circumstance. The Office of Financial Aid will review the new information and if possible recalculate your financial aid. The Change of Circumstance Form has a deadline of May 1, 2016.  This covers the Fall 2015, Spring 2016, and Summer 2016 semesters. Please be aware a Change of Circumstance evaluation can take up to 6-8 weeks to review. 

The following is an estimated budget for fall 2015 and spring 2016, for a dependent full-time student living at home in Poughkeepsie and surrounding areas:

  • Tuition — $3,360
  • Fees — $300-420
  • Books — $1,250

The actual amount awarded may be different from the estimated award. The actual award may be adjusted based on additional information, revised regulations, or changed student status. Financial aid will only be paid for classes that you are currently attending and that are required (applicable) for your degree.

What happens if I drop or don't attend classes?

Dropping classes or failing to attend classes for which you are registered may result in loss of or adjustments to your financial aid, even after you have received it.

View information on Student Responsibilities and Maintaining Eligibility for financial aid.

How and When is Financial Aid Paid Out?

Financial aid is disbursed (paid) as follows:

  1. If you have been informed of a financial aid award, the College may defer the cost of your tuition and fees and deduct those costs from your financial aid. (Deferral means that your payment is due when your financial aid is received, rather than when classes start.)

  2. If you have been awarded more aid than you need for tuition, fees, and other College charges, the College will issue a book voucher for you at the Student Accounts. You may use this to purchase your textbooks and supplies. You can only receive a book voucher for the Fall & Spring semesters during the first week before class through the end of the DCC Add/Drop period. 

  3. After tuition, fees, bookstore costs and other authorized charges are covered, any remaining financial aid will be disbursed to you as a payout. Payouts begin for Fall 2016 on October 21, 2016 and for Spring 2017 on March 17, 2017.  You will need to cover your own expenses until you receive your payout.

    1. For a student loan to be disbursed, you must be registered for and attending at least six credits of classes.

    2. Payments will be disbursed based on classes that you are attending that are required (Applicable) for your degree.

    3. Aid for late-start classes will be disbursed after those classes begin.

    4. The amount of a Pell award will be based on the classes required for your degree that you are enrolled in and attending at the end of the drop/add period.

    5. For TAP to be disbursed, you must be registered for and attending at least 12 credits of classes at the end of the drop/add period.

    6. Your payout will be sent to you through either your BankMobile card, electronic deposit to a bank account, or by mail with a paper check. Please go to to select your refund preference.

    7. Financial aid will be disbursed only if:

      1. You are in a matriculated program.

      2. You have completed your online Entrance Counseling and Promissory Note for student loans. For more information see your self-service Banner account.

      3. New York State Aid for Part Time Studies (APTS) monies will not be disbursed until the end of the semester.

        1. For APTS to be disbursed, you must be registered for and attending between 3-11 credits of classes at the end of the drop/add period.

        2. Three of the credits attending must be credit bearing. 

If I have financial aid, how can I buy my books?

If the amount of your financial aid exceeds your tuition and fees you could be eligible for a Book Voucher to use at the campus bookstore. Check your Banner account for the amount of your financial aid credit. A voucher will be issued to the student directly from the Office of Student Accounts that they can use to purchase books & supplies from the DCC Bookstore.

Will there be money left for my personal expenses?

If your financial aid exceeds your tuition, fees, and bookstore charges, you'll get the excess for personal use. The amount of the refund will be based the number of credits for courses that:

  • You are currently attending (not courses that have been dropped or start later in the semester)
  • Are required for your degree